149 East 38th Street - Murray Hill, New York
This incomparable Dutch Revival carriage house has a 25' x 98' footprint with over 6,000 square feet of interior space on 3 levels and outdoor space, ceiling heights up to 25', a curb cut and garage entrance. Built in 1902 by noted architect Ralph S. Townsend and purchased in 1907 by George S. Bowdoin, a philanthropist and business partner of J.P. Morgan, the property is currently a single family house renovated in 2015 with an impressive provenance of former owners and architects. This house has been featured in films, books, magazines and newspapers. It has hosted weddings, fashion shows, dinners for 100 and parties for 400. The R8B zoning (4.0 FAR) permits up to 9,876 square feet above ground. The zoning permits residential, medical, institutional and government uses, including private home, private art gallery, foundation headquarters, medical offices and government cultural center. This is truly one of the most spectacular private properties in Manhattan.
This listing courtesy of Douglas Elliman